Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quilt/Stash Project-2020--Determined Quilter

Quilt/Stash Project-2020--Determined Quilter

Thursday, September 24,2009.....Dayn 42 of 4,014


Goals of Quilt/Stash Project-2020

by August 14, 2020 (10 years-10 months)

1. Complete all unfinished quilt tops

2.Get stash to zero

3. Blog adventures and progress

Reporting: after 42 days amazing??..well..encouraging progress which I will review and confirm another day.

However, Reality checks:

1. I do not (cannot?) quilt at least one hour every day...because--life happens--

The good news: I have had..and certainly will have days... when I am inspired (driven?) to quilt for several hours.

2. I do not (cannot?) blog every day..again, because--life happens and I just do not-can not get to the library.

3. The stash does not provide the "right' even the just o.k. fabric for completing the quilt top and/or for piecing the backing..or for the binding.

Thus it is necessary to buy new fabric.

For example: I have creatively used every piece of scrap and compatable stash fabric to make the backing for the (American-Japanese) Fans and Stars quilt.

I now need half to three-quarters yards to complete the backing and the binding.

Well..maybe selecting/buying this new fabric will be fun.

Experience (theories) on backing)

1. Traditional: one single piece of compatible/contrasting/dramatic fabric

2.Determined Quilter's usual choice: use as much of the scrap from the original quilt fabrics as possible in spontaneous/creative ways with the goal of using all.....

and,,, to use as many compatible stash fabrics as possible to reduce stash/scrap inventory.

3. I have been quilting now for 13 years and, having made maybe 30 full size quilts and another 30 wall hangings, of various sizes, I have made backings all ways.

Sort-of unbelievable to me now....my very first full size bed quilt, made for my oldest son, was actually two complete quilt tops.......and hand quilted...(one year on the dining room table for that).....what we do for ignorance/tradition?/.....love...

Happy Quilting...Determined Quilter.

No comments:

Post a Comment