Friday, October 2, 2009

Quilt/Stash Project-2020

Quilt/Stash Project-2020--Determined Quilter


Friday, October 2, 2009........Day 50 of 4,014


Scraps in the Stash--Seeking Inspiration and Solutions


First --Report...Success!!! The "not-named" Freddy Moran designed "dottie" wall hanging...with the backing and binding from the new fabric--yellow with white dots is finished!!!

The Quilt Angels were with me on Monday when "they" gave me this fabric...it worked! and the quilt-wall hanging looks good.

Then....as every quilter knows, there are two major catagories of stash......

1. "hunks'' of maybe quarter to full yards of fabric bought...and not used in a particular project..or bought in the mind space.."oh--that is wonderful--just have to have it".

2. the small scraps of fabric left over from a quilt project--maybe pretty small 2 x2 inches..1 x 6 inches...but "too good" to throw away.

so...seeking inspriation on "what-to-do" with these small "orphan'" scraps I remembered the Scrap Quilt class I took with Roberta Horton at Empty Spools Seminars (Asilomar-Pacific Grove, California) in 2001....and this lead me to Roberta's 1998 book, "Scrap Quilts-the Art of Making Do" (Amazing!! my super good local library actually has a copy).....well..a couple of possible ideas--and maybe some Follower to this blog will find just the right solution to her/his scrap problem....This investigation lead me to get out my Roberta scrap quilt--not great...and not awful either......so Thanks!! Roberta

Another source of scrap inspriation is my 'dottie' mentor Freddy Moran--whose genius is color, and using litterally hundreds of different fabrics in her quilts....I recommend "Colaborative Quilting" 2006 by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston....and their idea of a Parts Department (another day to discuss that concept--which unfortunately I have not yet followed).

However....notable in this book are the studios of Freddy and Gwen (again a discussion for another day ) and their cabinets and shelves of "stash"----I would being have serious melt-downs if I had either of those stashs..

Finally for today; in the mail this morning..final information for the November 1-15 quilt-tour/Yokohama Quilt Show trip to Japan.....happy anticipation!!!

Happy Quilting--Determined Quilter

No comments:

Post a Comment